In Skylux’s new blog, “5 of the world’s most luxurious train journeys you need to try” we wanted to highlight one of 2022 most iconic and romantic travel trends by showcasing 5 of the best rail journeys. So why not step back into a time where charm, adventure, and grandeur are beguiling? Because Traveling by train is a truly lavish experience offering grand suites, sensational cuisine, and incomparable service.
Luxurious Train Simplon-Orient-Express: London to Venice
If you’re planning to travel to Europe this year and Venice and London are on your wish list, then this journey is perfect. In addition, if you’re looking for cheap business class fares to London, visit our dedicated pages for business class air travel.
For this journey, you will board the Simplon-Orient-Express that has all the razzmatazz, glitz, and glamour one would expect. Which includes elegant Art Deco cabins, grand suites, twin rooms, and single rooms with the following:
- Hot and cold water
- WCs at either end of each sleeping car
- Bathrobes & Slippers
- Dual voltage plug
- 230/115 volts for electric razors
- 2x 220-volt continental sockets
Your journey starts at Venice Santa Lucia station and includes one night onboard, a steward service, a 4-course dinner, 3-course lunch, brunch, breakfast, and afternoon tea.
On day 2, the train pulls into Paris Gare du Nord and halts for 40 minutes, allowing you to stretch your legs. Before sipping a glass of English sparkling wine, once boarded on the Belmond British Pullman to finish your journey in London.
Luxurious Train Rovos Rail: Southern and eastern Africa – Cape Town to Pretoria
This journey takes 3 days and has a travel distance of 1600km. You will meander through spectacular mountain ranges, grasslands of the Highveld, and through the immense barrenness of the Great Karoo. Starting in Cape Town, you will stop for the Kimberley Diamond Mine Museum tour and Matjiesfontein visit before finishing in Pretoria.
The train has 3 suite options, Royal, Delux, and Pullman, all of which are wood-paneled luxurious sleep coaches. The Royal suite comes with the below facilities (the others can be found here.)
- Double or twin beds
- En-suite with bath, shower, toilet, and basin
- Small lounge area
- Writing desk
- Air conditioning
- Tea facilities
- Bespoke amenities
- Robes and slippers
- Hairdryer (fixed or plug-in)
- Shaver plugs (2-pin)
- USB ports
- Internal telephone system
- Room service
If you are looking for the best business class ticket prices to South Africa, our experts are on hand 24/7.
Luxurious Train Maharajas’ Express: Delhi to Mumbai
Maharajas Express has been awarded 7 stars and has won the “World’s Leading luxurious train ” award for seven consecutive years. The journey starts at Delhi and passes through Agra, Jaipur, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Udaipur, and finishes in Mumbai. Furthermore, the 6 day/7 night trip is jam-packed with stops for Local City Tours, Spa hotel visits, and exclusive excursions.
There are four categories of cabins/Suites in this luxurious train – Deluxe, Junior, Suite, and the Presidential Suite. The Deluxe cabins’ tariff is inclusive of all meals, soft beverages, guided off-train excursions in deluxe coaches, entrance fees, and services of a guide. You will the following in Delux cabins –
- Cabin Area: 112 Sq. Ft
- Double Bed Dimensions: 80 x 60 (In)
- Twin Bed Dimensions: 80 x 33 (In)
- Folding Writing Table
- Live Television
- Wi-fi Internet (Subject to network availability)
- Direct Dial International Telephone Facility
- Personal safe
- Towels and linens changed daily or as per request
- Complimentary tea, coffee, mineral water, and light snacks are available at all times
- Dedicated butler service
- Shower cubicle with running hot & cold water
The Maharajas’ Express is a majestic, luxurious train, and its route through India is ore inspiring! If you’re thinking of embarking on this luxurious train journey, our experts can help you find the best business class ticket price to India.
Luxurious Train Sri Lanka’s luxury viceroy tea train
The Lonely Planet described this journey as “one of the world’s most scenic train rides.” Presently operating during the peak season of December and August, the journey was originally made to transport coffee across the island’s most treacherous terrains.
Reminiscent of the times of the British Raj, the train is decked out with wooden paneling and takes you across the highlands to the top of tea-coated mountains. The journey starts in Colombo and stops at Kandy, Hatton, Nuwara Eliya, Ella, and finishes in Badulla-ten hours in total.
As the journey is relatively short, with no stayover, here is what you can expect:
- A carriage includes a lounge area.
- Plush upholstered seating with plenty of leg space and room to move around
- Tea is to be served at eleven
- Sri Lankan-style lunch
- Alcohol or soft drinks purchased at the bar
- Butler service
Journeying on the luxury viceroy tea train is a great way to experience Sri Lanka’s spectacular landscapes and views. If you have any questions regarding business class air travel to Sri Lanka -don’t hesitate to call our experts.
Luxurious Train Eagle Trans-Siberian Express, Russia (EASTBOUND)
Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express is regarded as the most luxurious train journey money can buy. Comprising of a 15-day journey that starts in Moscow and finishes in Vladivostok.
On the first night in Moscow, you will be invited to a champagne drinks reception before sitting down for an exclusive welcome dinner. Day 2 is when you set off for the most epic, opulent ride of your life.
In total, you will be stopping for tours, exclusive excursions, and culinary feasts in 9 different cities and towns. Here is what you can expect –
- Champagne reception on departure with a military brass band performance
- Private viewing of the Kremlin Armory in Moscow
- Soviet-era steam locomotive haulage at Lake Baikal
- Barbecue on the shores of Lake Baikal, plus the opportunity to swim in its ice-cold waters
- See Mongolia’s three national sports in action in a mini-Naadam showcase
- Authentic performances showcasing traditional Russian and Mongolian culture
Onboard the Golden Eagle
For those that want to experience this epic journey at the height of luxury, then the Imperial suite is a must –
- Sleeps 2 in a large Double Bed (1.5m by 1.9m.)
- Sitting area
- Remote controlled air-conditioning and heating
- Personal safe
- Private en-suite bathroom with full power shower and underfloor heating
- All toiletries provided
- Complimentary minibar
- DVD/CD player with LCD screens
- Towels and linens changed every second day or daily on request
- Complimentary tea, coffee, and mineral water available at all times
- In-cabin dining available on request
- Drinks from the Bar Lounge Car included from the Standard and Premium Bar List (excluding Premium Wine List.)
- Private car and guide options in selected cities for off-train excursion program
- Laundry service included
In the lounge bars, there will be activities such as Russian language lessons and engaging lectures on local history and culture from expert guest speakers.
To summarize, no other rail journey can match the scale and grandeur of the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express. Therefore, if you are looking for a business class flight to Moscow you can find all lasted deals here.